Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Three Months of Discovery

In the past 3 months, Harley has improved somewhat being ridden in a ring.  I finally found a saddle/maker fitter who reflocked my saddle to fit Harley perfectly, and he is much happier.  I suspect that some of the saddle issues were connected to the abuse he endured from the dressage trainer who had him a few months before I bought him.  I think Harley equates saddle discomfort with the abuse, so his saddle needs to fit exactly.  Now it does. 

So, after 3 months of watching him closely, I don't know if Harley will ever be happy working in a ring.  Out on the roads and trails, he's completely happy.  When I ride him in a ring, I can tell he'd rather be anywhere else.  He's been that way for most of the 3 years I've had him.  I haven't cantered him in almost 2 years.  I want to canter my horse.  I could do that on a trail, but there aren't any near where I board him.  Big problem.

I'll give it a couple more months and see if he is any happier doing ring work.  Maybe if I can start jumping him a little, he'll relax.  Perhaps he just hates flat work.  It is rather boring, after all ;)