Saturday, January 29, 2011

Exercises

Well, it's mid April 2010 and I have had Harley for 11 months now.  He is a different horse from when I first got him.  I think there will always be ghosts in the shadows for Harley, after so many years of mistreatment, but they rarely raise their ugly heads any more, and he copes much, much better now.  Instead of panicking and trying to run back to the barn, he looks to me for reassurance.  He literally turns his head around and looks at me, and I only have to pat him on the shoulder and tell him he's okay, and he is. 

We continue to work on getting him more flexible on his left side, and me not leaning to the left when tracking left.  By doing counter-bending to the right, it is correcting both of our issues (thank you, Jane).  Harley is also beginning to stretch out into contact instead of tucking back or down, and that is a big accomplishment.  Contact is extremely difficult for both the horse, and the novice rider.  As Jane tells me frequently, "you're holding his hand, just holding his hand" and that's so true.  You don't let go, but you don't squeeze too hard either, it's all about support and partnership, being equals.  I give him what he needs, and he gives me what I ask for.  Here is a photo of Harley happy and relaxed on contact.